Apply For Temporary Guardianship in Oklahoma

For one reason or another, you may find yourself needing to apply for temporary guardianship. If this is your first time doing so, you may not know what documents are needed or where to go. Here is what you need to know to apply for temporary guardianship in the state of Oklahoma.

Reasons for Acquiring Temporary Guardianship

Oklahoma law states that when deemed necessary, a guardian may need to be appointed over the person or property of a minor.

Each situation is different. What is deemed necessary is left up to the discretion of the judge presiding over each case. In every situation, the well-being of the child is most important to the outcome of the situation. 

For example, if the current legal guardian is unable to care for the child, it would be necessary to change the guardianship of a minor. 

You may wish to become the guardian of a minor for one of the following reasons:

  • Ability to enroll in the minor in school
  • To receive benefits from a minor living in your home who you do not have legal custody over
  • To permit care for the minor (doctors appointments, daycare, etc)

What You Will Need To Become A Guardian

To qualify as a guardian of a minor, you will need to:

  • Fill out the appropriate court forms
  • Appear in front of a judge and ask to be appointed guardian of the minor
  • Attend the hearing and display why you qualify to be the guardian

It’s important to note the age of the minor. If the minor is under the age fo 14, the court will be in charge of appointing a new guardian. If the minor is over the age of 14, the minor has the power to nominate their guardian. 

Before the hearing, notice is required to the following parties:

  • The minor if they are over the age of 14
  • The minor’s living parents and anyone who currently has custody of the minor
  • If the minor has no living parents, grandparents should be notified
  • If there are no living grandparents, any adult living relative should be notified
  • The Department of Human Services if they have provided services in the past to the minor

This notice must be mailed at least 10 days before the hearing.

At the hearing, you will be asked to provide evidence that you can care for the child. If approved, you must follow up with an action plan of care for the time you will be their guardian. 

Apply for Temporary Guardianship with Reddy & Feldhake, P.C.

If you are planning to apply for temporary guardianship or simply have questions about the process, contact us here at Reddy & Feldhake, P.C.

We’ve been helping Oklahoma residents apply for temporary guardianship for years, and our lawyers are ready and willing to help you. 

Fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation, and we will be in contact with you to start your legal procedures.

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest

Leave a comment